Today at 4pm ET, the NFL free agent market opens officially. While some teams has made their moves early, here’s a list of the top free agents that teams can grab (in no order, of course):
- RB Doug Martin;former Tampa Bay Buccaneer that was the #2 rusher in the league last season with 1,402 yards. Can be a very valuable asset to any team in this league in need of a rushing attack. UPDATE: Martin stays with the Bucs, getting signed to a 5-year, $35.75million deal. Well played by Tampa Bay
- RB Matt Forte; versatile back released by his team of 8 years, the Chicago Bears. Still in good shape to land a nice contract with a new team as well.UPDATE: Forte surprisingly signs with the New York Jets. Great pickup and is reunited with former teammate WR Brandon Marshall.
- S Eric Weddle; former All-Pro Safety with big play capability STILL. Can be the sound of a defense.
- LB Danny Trevathan; Big play three-down Linebacker will an enormous skill set. Needs to get paid this offseason. UPDATE: Former Bronco reunites with former coach John Fox in Chicago for four years. Huge pick up
- QB Brock Osweiler; Nice-sized quarterback with noticed potential around the league. He may stay or he may go.UPDATE: Osweiler signs a healthy 4 year, $72 million deal with the Houston Texans
- LB Derrick Johnson; Great player, plays with a lot of passion and fierceness on this Kansas City defense. Would be hard to see him anywhere else, though.
- DE Chris Long; some teams are looking at him as a gamble because of his recent health issues. He’s very much capable to bounce back from these setbacks though.
- DE Charles Johnson; very effective Defensive End that played great in the Super Bowl with Carolina.
- OT Russell Okung; one of Russell Wilson’s more reliable linemen. Coming off of surgery though.
- CB Prince Amukamara; while this league seems like it running short of thorough corners, Amukamara is still one of those that comes to play every night.
These are just a few names, many more free agents are out there and I’m expecting things to get shaking at 4pm eastern time…
OTHER KEY SIGNINGS:
- DE Malik Jackson finds a new home with the Jaguars
- CB Jenoris Jenkins agrees to deal with NY Giants
- OT Mitchell Schwartz signs with Chiefs
- DE Oliver Vernon signs with Giants on an $85 million dollar deal
- RB Lamar Miller signs with the Texans
- WR Marvin Jones head to Detroit in the wake of Calvin Johnson’s retiring.
- Veteran DE Mario Williams heads to Miami
- OG Kelechi Osemele signs with the Oakland Raiders